Answering Your Questions About Kitchen Islands
How Do You Design a Kitchen Island?
When designing a kitchen island, you need to consider several details.
- Identify what you will use the island for. Is it for prep space, storage, seating, or cooking?
- You need to consider the appropriate size. The average kitchen island is about 40 by 80 inches, but you'll also need enough room around it to move about.
- How high you want the countertops. Dual-height countertops create a fun place to sit, can hide a full sink, and make the kitchen more interesting.
- How you can add more storage. You can hide serving items such as napkins, cutlery, etc. Depending on how you use the kitchen island, you should storage the appropriate items. Pans & pots for a cooking island, knives and small appliances for a prep island, etc.
- How you plan to light the island. Can you use recessed lighting, or do you need specific fixtures to project light down?
- If you use the island for cooking, you need to consider ventilation. Will a downdraft fan work, or do you need a second exhaust fan?
- Style! Your island should mimic the rest of the kitchen, and reflect your personality.
Do I Have Space for A Kitchen Island?
It will depend on your kitchen to determine if a kitchen island would work. Most islands are about 4 feet wide and 2 feet long, and then you will want 42 to 48 inches of open space around your island to move around comfortably.
What is a Good Size For A Kitchen Island?
Most kitchen islands should be at least 4 feet long by 2 feet wide. This allows you to customize the island to best fit its use.
What is an Island Kitchen Layout?
An island kitchen layout is where a freestanding kitchen island exists in the kitchen, which complements the kitchen owner. The island can be used as additional prep space, designated for cooking, seating space for the family, or storage space for appliances & bins.
Is it Cheaper to Buy or Build a Kitchen Island?
Adding a kitchen island is relatively cost effective when compared to a full kitchen remodel. It helps bring new functionality to an existing kitchen. Typically designers will work with you to customize your kitchen island, and you buy the final result.
Should an Island Be The Same Height As The Countertops?
It's standard for your kitchen island and counters to be the same height. The typical standard counter height is 36 inches, which is a great height for working and seating.
Is a Kitchen Island Worth It?
If you have the space, yes!! You expand your kitchen's countertop space, get more storage, create an area for the family to eat and do homework, and can create room for an appliance or storage.
How Long is A Typical Kitchen Island?
An average kitchen island is about 40 by 80 inches.
How to Build a Kitchen Island
So many styles to choose from! We can help you explore different options, or help you design one that mimics the rest of the kitchen. Cabinets with the same finish and style.
Kitchen Islands should be at least 4 feet long, and 2 feet deep. There should be ample room to move around it. Ideally, your kitchen should be at least 8 feet deep and 12 feet long.
You will want direct lighting to come straight down onto the island. Depending on the height of your ceiling, you could use recessed lighting, or use specific fixtures & bulbs to project light down.
Great for storing serving items, such as napkins and cutlery. Also, store away pots, pans, small appliances, knives, bins, detergents, etc. Plan storage based on how you will use the island.
If you use your island for cooking, you will want to consider a downdraft fan, an exhaust fan mounted on the ceiling, or an overhead hood that extends through the ceiling.
Counter height will determine what seats to use. 28 to 30 in. accommodates chairs. A standard 36in. counter should use a low stool. 42 to 48 in. counters will require high stool seating.
Will you use the kitchen island to store the dishwasher and compost bins? Or instead for food prep? Perhaps you'd prefer to have the stovetop there? Or maybe you just want additional dining space.
Free Quote & Design
Our professional design services are free with no obligation to buy cabinets. We’ll take you step by step through the whole planning process and together we’ll transform your space into more than you ever thought possible. Let’s get started with your free kitchen design, today!